I am a well known Buhari Supporter. I am still his supporter. But I might support Atiku/Ngozi presidential ticket in 2019 for the following reasons:
1. It will help reduce ethnic tension and agitations. We need peace, Security and some sense of unity for Nigeria to develop and progress. Buhari has not be very good in managing ethnic fault line in the country. Yes it is true Buhari appointment is Skewed to the North. So also was Jonathan appointment skewed to the south. I think Buhari is acting with the mind to undo southernasition done by Jonathan. I think he has achieved that already. 2019 is the time for a leader with no strong regional bias (We all have some bias to our region. But we need a bias that is mild and not so obvious) . 2019 is the time for a leader that will unite us and bring us together as one nation. I believe Atiku/Ngozi might be able to help on that.
2. We need National Economic Interest driven undue advantage to a few to grow at a rapid rate. it must be production base growth not consumption base growth. By these I mean a system were a few is selectively, deliberately and strategically allowed to acquire wealth with a clear mandate and direction to grow the national economy in such a way to grow industry, manufacturing and Jobs.This may look like promoting corruption, but Countries like South Korea and China used this model to grow. The country deliberately promoted companies like Samsung, LG and Hyundai owned by few elites to drive the economic growth of South Korea. The problem with PDP corruption from 1999 to 2015 was that it was not driven by National economic interest but by individual interest without clear national economics goal. We need a system that is driven by national economic interest even if it may give some people undue advantage. Then when we become rich, we can then start reform and anti corruption war like China and South Korea are doing now after they have achieved development. South Korea is now probing Samsung, Hyundai etc after the country has corruptly used them to develop south Korea. And I believe Atiku/Ngozi has more capacity to do these than Buhari presidency. We don’t grow a country economic through anti corruption, but we can sustain an already developed economy through anti corruption.
3. We need a govt that can easily lobby the National assembly to achieve its economic objective. What I call a realistic president who understand that the Senators are very corrupt and as such will slow down your agenda without them gaining something. A president who understand this and will be able to make the senators gain something for a greater good.
Buhari is trying his best not to play money politics. I respect him for that. But he should find a way to make the senators to act fast on his agenda. The current 2017 Budget not implemented because the Senate refuse to approve the loan to fund the budget the same senate approved the deficit. Why should the Senate approve a budget deficit if they will not approve the loan for the deficit? This is one of the ways senate is slowing down Buhari agenda. And Buhari seems helpless about it.
4. This may look like promoting inequality. Not really. I am trying to focus more on economic growth with models that have worked. We need liberal models.
Buhari current economic system will work. But at a slow pace because it is very conservative. Moreover the gain of Buhari economic policy are highly masked by the ethnic tension and the general perception of Nepotism around him. No matter how much he does, because emotion and sentiment are stronger than rationality among human beings, his achievements will not be seen by alot of persons from Southern Nigeria.
5. I strongly believe Atiku is corrupt. And he knows that he is Corrupt. And he also knows Nigeria knows he is corrupt. But Atiku is desperate to be President. That strong desires and desperation backed with an Ngozi as VP may end up as a catalyst and drive him to perform. Well if he fails, we have 2023 to try another. That is the beauty of democracy. We keep trying.
I am just thinking aloud. Things may happen fast between now and February 2019 that may fast track Buhari agenda which may erase the need for this option.